Friday, April 6, 2012

Beautiful Batad

View from Banaaue viewpoint
Day number two started off bright and early. Especially bright– the sun was shining which made me oh so happy! The first stop of the day was at Banaue Viewpoint, what the locals consider to be the best place to take in a panoramic view of the Banaue rice terraces. I must say, I agree. It is so incredibly stunning. The pictures don't really do much justice because they don't capture the depth of the terraces– truly they are the most beautiful creations in the world. I had a conversation with one of the girls I was traveling with, and we were talking about how we can't imagine anything else being more beautiful than these rice terraces. She brought up an interesting point, asking me if I can imagine that we are seeing the most beautiful sight in the world at such a young age. Is that sad, or is that a good thing? I think it is both. But who knows, maybe someday I will find something that I think is even more beautiful than rice terraces.
Banaue Viewpoint
At Banaue Viewpoint I also had my first interaction with the Ifugao people. These old folks sit at the Viewpoint and wait for tourists to come and take pictures of them for money. I really didn't want to take any photos because I feel as though it is exploiting their culture. But my guide pushed me to do so, and I am not going to lie... I couldn't resist. And I figured it was a win-win because I get a picture and they get money... thoughts anyone?



After Banaue Viewpoint I had an even bumpier tricycle ride than the day before to get to Batad. This is one of the most famous places in the Philippines, and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Guess what I have to say about it– yup, incredible, beautiful, jaw dropping, magnificent... how many more synonyms do I need to use? I found Batad more beautiful than Hapao, but this may just be because the weather. My guide and I went on another three hour trek, including a trip down to Tappia waterfall. The descent was very steep– and it wasn't a natural slope but stairs. This made going back up quite the workout, my calves felt it the next day. But good news everyone: at the end of my trip my tour guide said this was the first time that he ever had anyone who could actually hike. Hallelujah. Seven months in Southeast Asia and I can say that I am in better shape than most other tourists.
This was after the walk up the stairs, hence the nice glisten
and glow all over the body. (girls don't sweat duh)

What is it about rice terraces that makes me so awestruck? I think I am drawn to them because they weren't built for aesthetic purposes, but to make use of the land in the most efficient way possible in order to make a living and survive. Whereas temples, churches, and other impressive buildings are usually dedicated to someone or something i.e- a greater power, rice terraces are made for the people, by the people. What makes them more inspiring and impressive than say the Underground River, mountains, and rain forests, is that the terraces are man made; it shows how driven, clever, and resourceful humans are. I honestly think I could spend months on end living in Banaue surrounded by the vibrant green terraces rolling over the hillsides and never lose any of my amazement and appreciation for them.
Batad

No comments:

Post a Comment