Saturday, April 7, 2012

And thats a wrap

I guess I won't really miss the tricycles–
they aren't built for Westerners!
Today is April 7. I am sitting in Ninoy Aquino Airport with an hour to go before boarding. So today I have a wonderful 23 hours of flying to look forward to. Manila > Tokyo > Newark > Boston. And then the good old bus ride from Boston to Portland plus the drive to Avon. Yup, we are talking almost 30 hours of traveling. BRING IT. My mind is racing so I figure I may as well stop putting off writing this "reflection post." I don't want to write it because I know it signifies the end. I just read my first post that I wrote for this blog. Oh how funny. I remember I only decided to write that because I was waiting for an episode of Bachelor Pad (great show don't judge) to finish downloading. I thought, well better start the blog. I had no idea that in the months to follow I would find such comfort and joy in turning to my blog to write about my experience and day. I think blogging has made me appreciate and pay more attention to cultural details. So thank you for reading and for all your positive comments. If I didn't know anyone was reading I probably wouldn't have been such a diligent blogger– I know I got a little bit lazy while in the Philippines but at least it was still a weekly occurrence.

There have obviously been some highs and lows of the trip– lets tackle the lows first. Getting mugged first off. That sucked. But I learned a lot from it and am now way more cautious with all my belongings. Just ask Hannah about my money belt...
Another low was saying goodbye to all my study abroad friends in Vietnam. That was a really sad time– I remember thinking, wow April is so far away. I won't be with a group of Americans my age until April. I am not even halfway there. I didn't realize how close I had grown with all my study abroad friends until I had to say goodbye to them.
I guess I went through a low around February– there was a week long period where I was in a funk. I had hoped that after a month in Baler I would have been accepted by the community and treated like everyone else, but I was still getting lots of stares, being asked awkward questions, and feeling uncomfortable in certain situations. That was also a time when there were armed robberies in Baler (yeah I didn't tell you that because I didn't want to freak you out MOM). But like all funks, it passed.
And of course, a low is leaving the Philippines right now. It seems very surreal that I am sitting in the airport about to jet off to America. It is a strange feeling.

This photo always makes me smile. I love my friends!
The highs: I think topping it all are the new friends I've made. I love that I have so many connections in Vietnam and the Philippines. One of the most amazing experiences was living with my Vietnamese homestay family, and then moving in with a group of Filipinas. How many people get to have that experience? I have grown so close with my four housemates (the fifth moved out in late February). Saying goodbye to them was really very hard. But I think that we will meet again, either in the states or when I come back to the Philippines to see even more beautiful places. And I need to come back sooner than later so I can keep working on my surfing– which by the way, I can do now completely on my own. My surfing goal= accomplished. Another high is the amount I have learned in the past seven months. Even though I haven't been in school I have learned so much about Southeast Asia's rich history. Prior to my travels I had no idea that it was a region filled with so much turmoil, invasion, and colonization. Finally, besides learning about this region I have learned a lot about myself as a person. That sounds super cliche and I am well aware of that, but it is true. You try living by yourself in a foreign country for three months and tell me that you don't learn a lot about what you can and can't deal with.

The difference between living in a country versus simply traveling is the degree to which one must learn and understand the way of life. If only traveling, it is easy to avoid complete immersion in the culture and lifestyle because in a few short weeks a tourist will return to the comfort of their home. While living in a foreign country it is imperative to adapt your lifestyle in an attempt to assimilate with the surrounding environment, regardless if altercations appear bizarre, alien, or push a comfort zone. Successful assimilation is rewarded in the form of cultural manifestation; at least, that has been my experience in the past seven months in Vietnam and the Philippines. I have learned to embrace cultures and have grasped that just because something is different doesn’t mean it is wrong. I have continuously gained a more accepting, flexible and laid back attitude and perspective on the way I live my life. 
My housemates and I posing for pictures on the bridge outside
our house. This is Amac's, our "on call" tricycle driver, tricycle.
And sadly no, I actually didn't get to drive it.
 I know going to America is going to be a big shock. I am sure I will continue some of my Filipino habits, saying next next Saturday when I am talking about the Saturday two weeks in advance, saying April seven instead of April seventh, eat with a spoon clutched in my right hand, and wave people over with my palm facing the ground. I'm also probably going to think that everyone in the U.S is really rude. Filipinos are literally the nicest people in the world, so considerate and friendly. When I was checking in today at the airport the woman at customs said, "Your birthday is coming up soon (21 next week hehehe), advance happy birthday!" Last year on my birthday I spent a good chunk of it applying for my new passport, and no customs official ever said anything. Filipinos just want to make you feel happy and good. They say nice little things to cheer up your day. Why can't everyone be like that!?

I cannot explain how much I love Southeast Asia, and I know that someday, preferably sooner than later, I will return for an even longer period of time. I want to work and live here. I really do– that is how much I love this region. There are so many countries that I have yet to explore and hopefully my future jobs, studies, or research will help bring me there.
Can you read that? It says LOVE U. That's how I feel about the Philippines, my
friends, and Southeast Asia in general. (btw I am the "E")
When people find out that I have been gone for seven months, they always ask me what I have missed the most while traveling. I always answer my friends and family, because it is the truth. If I could uproot you all and move you to SEA I would never ever go back to America. But I know I can't do that. It is weird, but being away from certain people for seven months has made our relationship grow stronger. But no more time apart– I can't wait to jump on top of you all and smother you with Filipino love. So after I answer friends and family I am always asked what food I miss the most, what is the first thing I want to eat when I get back. To be honest, I don't really miss American food. Too much bread, not enough rice. Seriously, it is going to be my goal to eat rice once a day while in America. I don't miss cheese, I don't miss peanut butter, I don't really miss cookies or cakes. I thought I missed bagels but I don't. I guess the only food I really truly miss is Mexican food. Is there a Chipotle in Logan International? If there is, get me a burrito stat. And there is one more thing that I miss, not food related: As sad as this is, I also very badly missed my cellphone. Is it bad that I have dreams about turning it on? That and putting on a pair of jeans– note to self: never travel without jeans again.

So this is the last blog post. In three short weeks I am headed off to Bolivia for two months to work in libraries in rural communities surrounding Sucre. I am not sure if I will blog yet, but if I do I will be sure to put the link somewhere on this site. I can't use this blog because lets be real, Bolivians do not eat noodles at breakfast.

1 comment:

  1. love you emma! i soo miss you.. this wrap makes me teary eyed =( hehe... now i know why you're always wearing skirt.. hehe.. i thought you don't like to wear jeans at all",

    ReplyDelete