Saturday, March 31, 2012

Goodbye, Baler.

Yesterday at 4:30 in the morning I boarded a bus and left Baler for good. It seems surreal. I experienced the same feelings when I left Vietnam. If you remember right before I left Vietnam for real, I traveled to  Thailand and Cambodia and so when I left Vietnam to come to the Philippines it didn't really seem like I was leaving for good. It felt like I was just going on another side trip and would shortly return. Since I just left Baler only a few weeks ago to travel with Hannah, I feel like I am doing the same thing again, and in a few short weeks I will be right back there. I know that isn't the case but that is how it feels. I guess I fully haven't accepted and don't understand that I am not going to be back in Baler, with my friends, in my home, anytime soon. It will probably hit me next week when I am at the airport. So no sentimental post right now, maybe in a few days I will know exactly what I want to say about leaving Baler. For now lets just leave it at this: I have grown to love Baler, however hesitantly, it doesn't matter. It will always have a piece of my heart.

Downtown Baler. Photo credit: Hannah
I go back to the U.S in exactly one week. So for the next few days I will be traveling in Banaue and Sagada, beautiful rice terraces in Northern Luzon. I am going to be by myself– I am excited to do some independent traveling again. Hopefully it won't be too crazy with Filipino tourists, it is Holy Week, so everyone is on vacation. I will be back in Manila on Thursday or Friday. Until then :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow I've just discovered this blog. Looks like you're having some amazing adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bummer! i bet my postcard hasn't gotten there, yet :(
    oh well. it will put a smile on your housemates' faces, thinking of you.


    ps - you know what is dumb? how i can't post a comment on blogspot (a GOOGLE-owned site) from GOOGLE CHROME (their own browser!) I have to specifically open up firefox to do it. a small point of contention for me...

    ReplyDelete